Zoom Garage has put together a Toyota 86 to enter into the World Time Attack Challenge with a bit of a twist. It’s had a unique engine swap consisting of a 5.0 litre V10 found in an E60 Series BMW M5.
Straight away you would assume that it’s a much heavier engine than the Toyota 86 standard FA20 but Zoom Garage managed to get it down to only a mere 44 pounds heavier due to the implementation of a dry sump oil system.
High Performance Academy dropped by for an interview to go through what was involved when building this Toyota 86 track car.
Some of the highlights of the BMW S85 5.0litre V10 engine include:
- 2005 – Best new engine, International Engine of the Year, Best Performance Engine, Best Engine above 4.0 Litre
- 2006 – Best engine above 4.0 Litre, International Engine of the Year, Best Performance Engine
- 2007 – Best engine above 4.0 Litre, Best Performance Engine
- 2008 – Best engine above 4.0 Litre
- Displacement: 4999 cc
- Compression ratio: 12.0:1
- Bore: 92 mm
- Stroke: 75.2 mm